Google TV is a Smart TV interface from Google running on Android OS. Its inbuilt Chromecast allows you to share content from your devices with the Google TV browser. It gives you access to streaming platforms such as Netflix, YouTube and also gaming apps.
To own a Smart TV connected to the internet is not only a blessing but also a curse. The reason is the intrusive adverts when watching your favourite song on YouTube or using a free streaming app.
How Do Advertisers Target You With Specific Ads?
Smart TVs have a feature called Automatic Content Recognition (ACR). This gathers data about what you watch and for how long. They share this information with advertisers so they can target ads for you.
Now, the first question that comes up in the user’s mind is how to block pesky ads to make your experience more streamlined and efficient. The best method to solve the issue is to use an ad blocker to block the ads.
What is AdBlock?
AdBlock is an ad-blocking browser extension that removes ads from Chrome for a seamless browsing experience.
It removes ads from all of your favorite websites. It protects your browser from both malware and advertisers. They will be unable to access your browsing history and personal information.
WARNING: One should install AdBlock only from the official browser extension. Because if you buy these apps from an unofficial browser extension it could contain malware that could infect your device and steal your data.
Best Ways To Block Ads on Google TV
Use VPN to Block Ads
VPN is the best service to block ads, the reason being that it makes it impossible for trackers to get hold of your data.
As it changes your IP address making it appear that you are coming from another country. If you use an IP address from a country that has no ad revenue, the content owners that serve ads on the internet will lose interest in you.
Change The DNS Server
The second method to block ads on Google TV needs you to change the DNS server. If you own a Google TV and want to change its DNS server but don’t know how then follow the steps mentioned below:
- Go to the Advanced Network Settings of your Smart TV.
- Choose DNS server
- Next, set it to manual
- Enter the following values and save.
- Preferred DNS server: 220.127.116.11
- Alternate DNS server (if asked): 18.104.22.168
- That’s it.
Best Ad-blocking Apps For Google Android TV
The first app that you can use to block ads on Google Android TV is AdBlock. The process of using it is very simple. However, many don’t know how to use it.
If you are one of those users then follow the steps written below:
- Visit https://getadblock.com in your Chrome browser.
- Click on Get AdBlock Now
- Download it from the Chrome Web Store.
- Click Add to Chrome
- AdBlock will request permissions click OK to accept.
- Post installation of AdBlock pin on your toolbar.
To use Purple DNS to block ads on a Smart TV, follow these simple steps:
- Go to Google Play Store
- Install the app from Google Store
- Enable it to start blocking ads.
- Or customize the ads you want to block.
To block ads on Google TV using AdAway, you need to follow a few simple steps:
- First, go to Google Play Store.
- Install the AdAway App and open it.
- Select Add A New Source.
- Enter the URL ‘https://adaway.org/hosts.txt’ in the input field
- Click Ok
- From the main screen select Download hosts file.
- Select Apply ad blocking. This will block ads by applying DNS changes on your Android TV.
These are some of the best ways to block ads on Google TV. Hope, you found this information helpful.