College entrance exams mean a lot to students across the world. The same can be said about the students in the Philippines.
One of the most popular entrance exams in the Philippines is the UPCAT. It is set to give a fair chance to all students to pass and study at UP.
To help the students get good marks in the UPCAT exams, the UPCAT Reviewer will help them in improving their test-taking skills.
It is also better than the Traditional Review Centers. These Review Centers are more about making a profit and therefore they are concerned about enrolling as many students as possible. They are not very concerned about fulfilling each student’s needs.
But it is not so with UPCAT Reviewer, it allows you to study at your own pace and you can choose the areas that need more concentration. It also inculcates a habit of discipline and self-reliance in students. UPCAT practice tests make you proficient in handling the most difficult questions with ease.
Now you must be wondering all about what topics are included in the test. What do you need to study for the UPCAT?
In this article, we shall share with you a comprehensive take on the UPCAT coverage. Also, some tips and tricks to go about the different subtests.
The UPCAT Has Four Subtests:
- Language Proficiency
- Reading Comprehension
Each section features subtopics which will appear in the UPCAT, free practice tests. These practice tests will help you determine your weakest areas and help you create your study plan accordingly.
To help you give your best there are also some learning aids that will help students gain maximum learning in a minimum amount of time.
Once you’ve completed your initial review, you can take the mock exam for each subtest to measure how prepared you are. These tests will also give you an idea about your weak areas.
UPCAT Math Modules
The Mathematics subtest of the UPCAT contains questions from different topics you learned in school.
- Real Numbers and Imaginary Numbers
- Operations on Integers
- Factors and Multiples
- Divisibility Rules
- Fractions and Decimals
- Per cent
- Ratio and Proportion
- Algebraic Expressions
- Laws of Exponents
- Special Products and Factoring
- Linear Equations
- Quadratic Equations
- Rational Expressions
- Radical Expressions
- Cartesian Coordinate System
- Sequence and Series
- Using Algebra to Solve Word Problems
Introduction to Geometry
- Angles: Classification and Properties
- Triangles: Classification and Theorems
- Conversion of Units of Measurement
- Perimeter and Area of Plane Figures
- The volume of Solid Figures
- Right Triangles
- Six Trigonometric Functions
- Unit Circle
- Factorials, Permutations, and Combinations
- Graph Analysis
- Basic Differentiation
- Basic Integration
UPCAT Math Review Tips and Tricks
- Focus on the basics as Algebra questions typically dominate the Math subtest.
- Review trigonometric ratios and basic applications.
- Brush up on the multiplication table—practice.
- Supplement your math review with free YouTube tutorials.
- Master solving math problems involving fractions.
- Answer as many practice tests as possible.
- Understand the math behind every formula.
- Familiarize yourself with Filipino math terms.
UPCAT Science Modules
This will test your knowledge of Physics, Biology, Chemistry, Earth Science, and Astronomy.
- Chemical Reactions
- Chemical Kinetics
- Acids and Bases
- Nuclear Chemistry
- Concentration of Solutions
- Organic Chemistry
- Properties of Life
- The Cell
- Cellular Metabolism
- Biological Diversity
- The Theory of Evolution
- Animals: Form and Functions
- Plants: Form and Functions
- The Principles of Ecology
- Earth’s Vital Statistics and Earth Systems
- Basics of Stratigraphy
- Plate Tectonics
- Climate, Weather, and the Atmosphere
- The Solar System and its Planets
- The Motions of the Moon
- Other Celestial Bodies in Space
- Scalar and Vector Quantities
- Relative Velocities
- Laws of Motion
- Work, Energy, and Power
- Momentum and Impulse
- Waves and Optics
- Electricity and Magnetism
- Nuclear Physics
- Introduction to Relativity
UPCAT Science Review Tips:
- Make flashcards to remember concepts and formulas.
- Try answering difficult questions.
- Allot an equal amount to each Science subject.
- Each time you study a concept, discuss it to remember.
UPCAT Language Proficiency
The UPCAT Language subtest will have questions in both English and Filipino to measure your fluency in both languages.
- Word Meanings
- Confusing Words
Grammar and Composition
- Parts of Speech
- Correct Usage
- Figures of Speech
- Subject-verb Agreement
- Sentence Construction
- Active and Passive Voices
- Essay Writing
- Wastong Gamit
- Bahagi ng Pananalita
- Sawikain o Idioma
- Paksa ng Talata
UPCAT Language Proficiency Tips:
Read professionally written pieces from books, journals or magazines to ace the Reading Comprehension subtest.
Don’t use shortcuts when writing a message as it will have you misspell.
Play games like Scrabble or Word Factory to expand your vocabulary.
For The Filipino Part
Read literary works of prominent authors.
Questions in Filipino will also be in Science and Math subtests, so familiarize yourself with Filipino translations.
Practice communicating in both languages.
UPCAT Reading Comprehension Modules
This subtest is all about speed reading.
- Short stories
- Comic Strips
- Figures of Speech (simile, metaphors, etc.)
- Author’s Point of View
UPCAT Reading Comprehension Tips:
- Instead of reading from start to finish, go to the question and use the clues to find the answers in the stories/passages.
- Practice with both English and Filipino reading
- Learn how to read fast.
- The Reading Comprehension subtest may also include questions about analyzing essays, lines in plays, and more.
Hope you found this article helpful to you.