Plex is a media server that allows users to stream movies, live shows, sports, and other entertainment content from their personal media server to free or on-demand.
Plex Media Server software organizes media content like video, audio, and photos from a user’s server and streams them to player applications installed on mobile devices, smart TVs, streaming boxes, and web apps.
However, if you want to install Flex Media Server on your device then you are in the right place. In this guide, we will provide you with step-by-step instructions to Install and set up Plex Media Server on different operating systems.
So, read the article completely and install Plax Media Server on your device.
How to Install and Setup Plex Media Server On Windows
If you want to download and install the Plex Media Server on your Windows operating system then you can do it by using the steps written below.
Plex Media Server is available for both 32-bit and 64-bit versions. It is highly recommended to install the 64-bit version as it allows HDR to SDR mapping.
To install the Plex Media Server on your PC, you must have Windows 8 and a newer version of the Windows operating system running on your device because Plex Media Server only support newer version.
If you have Windows 8 or above then you can download and install the Plex Media Server by using the steps written below.
- Open your web browser and go to Plex Media Server’s Official Website.
- Here select Download from the top.
- Now select Windows from the drop-down menu.
- Now click on the Download Plex for Windows button.
- This will initiate the downloading process.
- Wait for the downloading process to be complete.
- Once you download the Plex Media Server’s setup file, navigate to the download location and double-click on the Plex file.
- This will initiate the installation process. Follow the onscreen instructions and complete the installation.
- Once you successfully install the Plex Media Server launch it and log in to your account or create one if you don’t have any.
- That’s it, this is as simple as that.
How to Install and Setup Plex on Mac
If you want to install and set up Plex on Mac then you can simply do it by using the steps mentioned below.
- Like Windows to install and use Plex Media Server you must have a Mac OS 10.9 Mavericks or later version running on your computer, with an Intel Core i3 processor or faster, and 2GB of RAM or more.
- If your device fulfills all of these requirements then open your web browser and go to Plex Media Server’s Official Website.
- Select Mac from the drop-down menu and click on the Download button.
- Wait for the downloading process to be completed.
- Once the downloading process is completed, navigate to the download location and double-click on the Plex Media Server file to initiate the installation process.
- Now follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation.
- That’s it, launch Plex Media Server and enjoy streaming your favorite movies or TV shows.
How to Install and Setup Plex On Linux
Installing the Plex Media Server on Linux is not as simple as Windows and Mac. To install the Plex or any application on Linux you need to run some commands. Here we have mentioned the steps of installing Plex on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.
- To start installing the Plex on Linux the very first thing you need is an IP Address. To find the IP address open the terminal and run this command,
IP addr Show“.
- This will show you the IPv4 address for your Linux machine.
- Now you know the IP address of your system, it’s time to install Plex.
- The very first thing you need to do is run this command
curl https://downloads.plex.tv/plex-keys/P… | sudo apt-key add
- This will add a Plex repository to your system. Once you run this command it will ask you for the username and password. enter the username and password and Plex repositories will be added.
- Next, run this command to add the apt repository to your system:
echo deb https://downloads.plex.tv/repo/deb public main | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/plexmediaserver.list
- Once repositories are added to your system, all you have to do is install one prerequisite, Update your System, and Install Plex. For that run these commands one by one:
sudo apt install apt-transport-https
sudo apt update
sudo apt install plexmediaserver
- This will install the Plex server on your system, to verify it’s running run this command:
sudo systemctl status plexmediaserver
- Now by using your system IP Address, you can access and set up Plex on other operating systems.
Watch this YouTube video for detailed instructions: