Are you trying to understand how to fix the Authenticator app not working on the new phone issue? We have the solutions for you!
Authenticator apps are vital for the security of accounts against hacking or password leaks. These apps provide you with two-factor authentication.
However, when you switch to a new phone the Authenticator app might not work properly for you.
Fix Authenticator App Not Working On New Phone
There could be a number of reasons why your Authenticator app is not working properly. We have detailed solutions that will help you get the Authenticator app running on a new phone without any glitches.
Let us take a look at them below.
Remove And Add Your Account In The Authenticator App Again
Sometimes removing your account from the Authenticator app and then adding it again can refresh the session and fix any minor error that might be causing the problem.
Moreover, if you are using a new phone, you will need to install and set up the Authenticator app again on your new device anyways.
To successfully execute this, you will need an alternative method to get into your accounts whether by using your phone number or email.
To successfully remove an account from an Authenticator app, you can follow the steps given below.
- Go to the Authenticator App and confirm your identity.
- Select the account you wish to remove.
- Click on the Gear icon located in the top-right corner.
- Choose the Remove Account option.
- Confirm Remove Account in the prompt.
If you wish to add an account to the Authenticator app, the steps are as follows>
- Go to the Authenticator app on your mobile device.
- Click on the + sign located at the top of the screen.
- Select the account type for the account you are adding. If you do not find your account type, go to the Other Account option.
- Now, go to your desktop browser and access your account from there.
- Find the QR code and scan it with your phone.
- Your Authenticator app should now be working properly.
Clear The Cache Of Your Authenticator App
Authenticator Apps also create cache files to give you a smoother user experience. However, these cache files can get corrupted and prevent you from using the app without glitches.
If the Authenticator app worked fine on your new phone for a brief duration and then started having issues, there is a good chance that this is the cause.
To resolve this issue you can just clear the cache for the app on an Android device. However, you will need to uninstall and re-install the app if you use an iPhone device as it does not have the option.
To clear the cache for the Authenticator app on your Android device, you can follow the steps given below.
- Go to the Settings on your mobile device.
- Select the App option here. It is named differently on different devices.
- Now, locate the Authenticator app in the list of apps that appear.
- Click on the App info option.
- Choose Storage usage and then select Clear cache.
Check For Updates
If you haven’t checked for updates in a while, it might be possible that you are using an outdated version of the Authenticator app. This can cause a number of issues but is quite easy to fix.
You can simply go to the Google Play Store (Android) or App Store (iPhone) and then check for any updates. If there are any, update your app to the latest version.
Close The Authenticator App
You can also try to close the Authenticator app and then reopen it to refresh the app and reload it to fix any minor issues.
Restart Your Device
Sometimes minor glitches can cause the Authenticator app to not work on your device. One way to remedy this issue is by restarting your phone and then restarting the Authenticator app to see if it works correctly.
This is how to fix the Authenticator app not working on the new phone. We hope that this guide was helpful to you.